As with all buildings, you should plan and practise an escape route.
- Avoid using lifts and balconies if there is a fire.
- It is easy to get confused in smoke, so count how many doors you need to go through to reach the stairs.
- Check there is nothing in the corridors or stairways that coul catch fire - like boxes of rubbish.
- Make sure doors to stairways are not locked.
- Make sure everyone in your home knows where the fire alarms are.
- You should still get a smoke alarm for your own home, even if there is a warning system in the block.