Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a single means-tested benefit which will be paid to people of working age. It will replace most means-tested benefits including:

  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit.

Universal Credit will start to be introduced gradually for new claims from October 2013 onwards.
Unlike Housing Benefit, which was often paid direct to the Landlord, if you claim Universal Credit it will be paid you instead at the end of each month. You will need to make arrangements to pay the right amount of rent to us. The easiest way of doing this is to set up a Direct Debit with us. 
More information on Universal Credit on the Citizens Advice Bureau website here